Sunday, November 7, 2010

They grow up so fast

The following case study or example was shared when I was attending a training programme recently:

Sam lives in a 4-room HDB flat with his wife and 3 kids. They are generally a happy family except that every day after work, when Sam comes home, the entire living room and walkway is covered with the children's toys. He always has to put the toys away before he can walk through the living room to reach his bedrrom. he tried reminding, telling, scolding the kids but it was no us.

One day, after a long and tiring work day, Sam came home and found the childrem's bicycles, barbie dolls, transformers, power ranger, Lego sets etc thrown all over the entire living room, blocking his path to the bedroom.

He was so angry with the children that he forgot to close his door. He started to put the toys away and was so engrossed in it that he did not notice that his neighbor, Mr Tan, had came in to help to pick up the toys. Mr Tan youngest daughter had just got married a few weeks ago and had moved out of the house. He had not had a chance to see her after her wedding.
When Sam realized that Mr Tan was picking up the toys after him, he was embarrassed and said "I'm sick of cleaning up after these kids."

Mr Tan said "I hope you don't mind me helping. I miss doing this now that my daughter has grown up and gone. You should enjoy it while it lasts. Your children will be gone before you know it. They grow up so fast."
.....

It is a simple story but with a great insight. As a father myself, I totally agree with Mr Tan. I also see Sam in myself.

Fortunately, I am more aware of it than Sam and has enjoyed the noise, nonsense, etc my daughter has created as part of her growing up. At times, it is not easy to accommodate such behavior and a need to discipline her. It is better to get on her right track early.

Well, discipline should not cause an oversight over her uniqueness and appreciating her true natural originality - the way she talks, smiles, laughs, angers, eats, sleeps, learns, plays, sees things around her. It is, indeed, a master piece of Arts. Good or bad, she also inherited some of your genes, not all her fault.

To me, the keyword here is appreciating. Be part of her growing up.

No comments: