Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Books and Reading Journey

I like books and enjoy reading, properly a habit cultivated since young.

I started reading Chinese books with heavy comic content initially and gradually with more text as I got to recognize more Chinese characters and phrases. These Chinese books were well known classic titles such as "Journey to the West", "Romance of The Three Kingdoms", "Water Margin" etc. I could read them repeatedly. Of course, I also read translated fairy tales, life and contribution of famous individuals such as Edison, Newton, Colombia etc. All with very interesting content. My parent bought some to share and mostly borrowed from the library.

My first English title was "The Famous Five" - adventurous story. However, I have to refer to English-to-Chinese dictionary regularly in order to understand the readings. Partly to learn the language as well. Hence, I would take more time to finish reading a book.

My first and only collection then was the story of Sherlock Holmes. My aunty bought it for me from the Golden Plaza or better known as Little Bangkok. I was very happy as I have been enjoying the story but I was also very sacred at the same time as my parent would blame me for wasting the money over useless title, according to their standard.

My reading list expanded as I grow up to also include the Chinese Martial Arts Novel mainly authored by Jin Yong (金庸). Jin Yong had written many titles and his works is very well known among the youth and adults. Some of the titles were filmed as movies and drama series closely followed by many individuals. There is a saying that where ever there is a Chinese community, you will be sure the existence of his loyal readers and fans.

I actually slowed down my regularly reading habit very much during the later part of my study and army time and resumed shortly after started to work. By then, I was more interested to read English books especially those on business, management as well as technology stuff. Most of my basic IT knowledge and skills were acquired then. One of my favorite reads was books on Bill Gates. I have learned much from the readings. Bill Gates became my Super Hero till now.

Two major changes were obvious, I began to read more magazines and began to buying more books & magazines than borrowing it - the beginning of building my library at home, subtly. I also learn to subscribe some of the magazines.

Years of experience make me realized that it is not so economical to buy technology books as it evolves rapidly, definitely much faster than my reading speed. The concept of management is pretty much the same, most importantly is one's ability to apply it timely and appropriately to create the desired result. The easily access and availability of Internet and richness of its content form good alternative resources. Amazon.com appears as one of my favorite websites. Gone the days of busy buying. I am a mellow shopper now. I visit library regularly again.

It's kind of funny, I am back to reading more Chinese books nowadays. Partly I am comparatively stronger in the language. Partly there are more available contemporary titles, English books are translated faster, better and cheaper. Instead of the classic titles, I read more about history and philosophy stuff. Since I enjoy traveling, I have collected more travel related books and magazines especially those in Asia version or edition.

Indeed, I already have a private library at home with a good spread of subjects and titles to meet my reading needs. What makes it more satisfactory is that it also has many books, both English and Chinese, that my daughter owns and enjoys readings. She inherits the story where I started many years ago though very differently. I hope that she will continue the journey with or without us around. It is definitely a journey that worth taking as a lifelong joy.

Ha...ha...ha...

No comments: