Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cholesterol

I have a high cholesterol level for many years. It was first flagged when I happen to join in a health screening activity organized by one of the RCs in the neighbourhood. The result was kind of a surprise to me as I dun consume much seafood especially the shell type food. Either I have consumed other food that may have contributed to the high level without me realizing or genetically inclined. Either way, I have to face it squarely that I have a high cholesterol level.

I do not go on any medication since then thinking that I can manage it by adjusting my lifestyle and doing more exercise regularly. However, the cholesterol level is still high after so many years. Recently, I was considering a new insurance package and went for a blood test as arranged by the insurance company. My family GP highlighted the risk to me again and suggested strongly that I go for medication treatment. If not, I will have a very high chance of having a heart problem earlier than I could have expected. The medication will likely to delay it and manage the level within a acceptable level.

I decided to be on medication as i dun want a heart problem earlier than I could have expected. I still want to try many nice food and traveling to many more places. Ha...ha...ha...

Most importantly, I dun want to burden my daughter too much when I aged. Being the only kid at home, it will be very stressful for her to manage two elderly. Stressful in terms of having to worry for us, finding and balancing time to take care of the parent/work/study and to manage it financially. To reduce those likely challenges for her, I have to be more responsible now to keep my health as normal as much as possible.

At the moment, I am taking one tablet everyday before I sleep. Accordingly to the GP, I am likely to continue the medication until 1 reach 1,000 years old. Ha...ha...ha...Come to think about it, am i doing it for myself or for my daughter ? Does it matter anymore ? Either way, I have to face it squarely that I have a high cholesterol level. I just have to deal with it and live with it, right ?

No comments: