Monday, April 26, 2010

Budget airline and air tickets

Started to plan my June overseas trip a few weeks ago. Going to Taipei and Kaohisung for the food, shopping and books, free & easy arrangement. First thing first is to confirm air tickets. We dun quite enjoy package tour and din really consider the option at all.

Since my daughter is older now, I went for the budget airline as my first choice and zoom into Jetstar's pricing. Not too bad, S$1,300+ for three persons (including all taxes) and the timings for both inbound and outbound were great as well. However, I did not reserve any bookings as I could not confirm a date yet. A week later, a similar search returned with a new pricing, as expected but S$1,900+ for three persons. I dun think it is a good idea to pay S$600 more for nothing extra in return.

Adjusted my search to also include all usual airlines. Initial results showed that I would be paying about the same price as Jetstar. Tough still high but at least I could enjoy more service for the extra S$500 to S$600. Again, I din make any reservation. Continue to monitor the prices over 1 to 2 weeks and found a Maybank promotion traveling by Cathay Pacific. S$1,500+ for three persons via Hong Kong. The timings options were pretty good too. Decided to check Jetstar again and it is still quoting me at S$1,900+. Finally made the reservation 3 days ago and got my eTickets today.

Budget Airline does not necessary mean cheaper traveling. If it is not offering the best possible value air ticket, then why called itself a budget airline. Something seems to be pretty wrong in its business operation. In fact, the price is slight more expensive than SQ pricing.

Ha...ha...ha... it sounds like a joke to me. Emm....I am sure it is a joke but not for me - for Jetstar.

Air tickets settled, next will be the planning of the accommodation and programme for the entire 9 days, 8 nights trip. The fun part of going for a free & easy traveling is that we get to decide what we want to do and enjoy, day and night :-)




1 comment:

tushar said...

Choosing proper airline will save a lot of money.
Mumbai flights