Friday, October 22, 2010

Car washing service

Woke up in the middle of the night to washroom. Took a peep out of the window to check if it was raining. No rain but saw a man with a bicycle washing a car at the carpark downstairs. Very curiously, I stayed at the window for awhile more trying to figure out the driver.

Actually, he was not the driver. He makes a living by providing car washing service in the neighbourhood. A tall, skinny and friendly gentleman. He rides around with a pail of water, looking and waiting for car to be back and wash it. I think I have his promotional leaflet - A5 size, single coloured print or photo-copied. S$30 per month from Monday to Friday, rain or shine. Not expensive, S$1.50 a day though I did not engage his service at the moment. No particular reason.

I am not sure if he is doing it as a full time job or just a sideline to make some extra money. Either way, I respect him greatly. There are many people who are just like him, to work day and night to keep a decent living, there are also many who just dun bother to help themselves but reply on borrowing, conning, seeking undeserving help from various sources to past time. Worst if the person has an abled body and mind. A disgrace to themselves.

Life must has been hard on him if not why the need to wash someone's car at such an hour. But he lives to be his best possible and not yield to it. He also committed to his promise to wash it once a day, rain or shine at S$30 a month.

Come to think about it, I feel ashame that I am not quite friendly to him at times when his bicycle is blocking my way in the carpark though I do not horn at him. I have to practise and master more about appreciating and accommodating - as a way of life. Showing of respect goes beyond words.

No comments: