Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Teochew dishes

I had my first typical Teochew cuisine when I was invited to my brother's wedding dinner food tasting session many years ago. It was a good dining experience and got to know a few Teochew dishes. Since then, I have patronized the same restaurant many times for the nice Teochew cookings.

Coincidentally, I ran into another Teochew restaurant located in Bedok North HDB heartland named Chin Lee Restaurant (深利美食馆)not too long ago. There are a few signature dishes to order whenever i eat in a Teochew restaurant:

- Steamed Pomfret in Teochew Style (must be 斗鲳 and not 白鲳 )
- Freezed pork skin
- Yam Paste with Gingko Nuts & Pumpkin as dessert
- Briased goose
- Sea Cucumber with Fish Maw soup
- Stired fried Sambal crayfish

Besides ordering the steamed pomfret and yam paste, we tried 2 more common dishes so that my daughter could have something to eat for dinner.

Chin Lee Restaurant is definitely well decor. The staff provides a very attentive and pleasant service to all customers, similing at all times and responsive to request. :-) Food is served pretty fast and it is tasty, not so salty in general. The pomfret is very fresh and yam paste sweetness is just nice for me. We also ordered soup of the day and i enjoyed the winter melon soup much - simple and light in taste. :-)



At the end of the dinner, they served us with some denser Oonlong chinese tea so that we wun feel so oily. I will patronize the restaurant again to try the other dishes. Chin Lee Restaurant is located at Blk 115, #01-285, Bedok North Road (opposite the Fengshan Food Centre). Tel: 64445554. They serve both lunch and dinner 7 days a week.



My grading (♥♥♥♥♥ means excellent):

- Location ♥♥♥♥ (pretty convenient if u drive with shelter parking lots)
- Food ♥♥♥ to ♥♥♥♥
- Service ♥♥♥♥♥
- Price ♥♥♥
- Dining experience ♥♥♥♥

No comments: