Sunday, June 14, 2009

To bath and to bond

I have been bathing my daughter since she turned 1 month old.

I was definitely pretty frighten & worry when i first bathed her. I checked that all possible windows were closed and tested the bathing water a few times to make sure that the water was warm enough and not too hot or cold. Prepared some toys for her to play while I bathed her. Her neck was still not so stiff and her skin is so smooth that it was not so easy to hold and support her.

Yet, it was a very wonderful experience and close contact with her. I could see that she enjoyed the bathing. She felt so confident and comfortable of me holding her, applying the bathing lotion on her and washing her clean. She started to kick in the water once I placed her into the bathtub. She would smile and talk in her baby language happily.

The experience was so good that I have tried to bath her whenever possible. In certain sense, I "blocked" Foong Pheng from bathing her at times, wanting to have the exclusive privilege to myself. I think that Foong Pheng had already enjoying much privilege with the 10 months pregnancy as well as the opportunity to breast feed her.

However, I began to encourage her to bath her daughter as well because I realized that I would be doing more harm than good. They also needed that close contact and using the touch as the love language to bond with her daughter.



Now that my daughter is going to be 4 years old. I think it is time for me to let her bath on her own. It may no longer be so appropriate for me to bath her as the way i used to do as she is turning into a young girl.

I will definitely miss it a lot a lot. I'm happy that she is growing well. Looking ahead, I just have to find a new experience that we, the father and daughter, will continue to enjoy doing together. Most importantly is to let her know that I still love her as the way i do when i first bathed her.

3 comments:

小秀秀 said...

My daddy also bathed me when I was a little girl. I rem times at my grandparent's hse, my dad will bathe me. And I'm a little scared of my dad coz he SCRUB harder than my mummy does and the water is always hotter than when mymmy bathe me also. But yet with him is more fun coz he is not scared of getting wet but mummy always will say stand still. haha.

Ming Fung said...

Ha...u still remembered it. That's great. :-)I think the father usually provides more leeway and space for the children to go a bit wild. I believe i dun scrub that hard but rub gently on her when bathing.

小秀秀 said...

haha coz my dad believes that rub harder then all the dirt will come out. Den we will be clean clean.