Monday, June 22, 2009

Twitter

Created a Twitter account today.

I was not very keen initially to embrace it as I was not very sure of its value. It is positioned as a micro-messaging platform and for the authors to update his/her activities/thinking day long with followers. I thought blogging would be more user friendly for readers as I could include more text + photos + video clip. Blog also comes with handy tagging feature that makes it easy to categorize content into relevant user-defined keywords. Readers can locate the needed entries much easier as well.

What motivated me to give it a try is the ability to use the mobile technology to update one's page. I dun need to have an internet access point to read and update the content. Pretty cool :-) I am not sure if there is similar feature in any of the blogging services but the technology does appeal and make good sense to me. I can now share meaningful content easily and faster through my handphone to more people. Of course, it can be challenging to one's phone bill.

The use of Twitter in the recent few major local and international affairs have helped to increase new twitter's users and gaining much popularity. As reported in today's Zaobao, Mayor Teo was suggesting using new media such as Twitter to facilitate exchange of views over topics discussed in the Parliament and National Day Rally. He also stressed that no technology could replace the importance of having an actual face-to-face talk over coffee/tea.

Though i have a twitter account now, I foresee that i will still be using more of a blog to share my views and happenings. I look forward to a day that I could use my handphone to update my blog as well. It is definitely much convenient.

No comments: